Monday, August 15, 2005

 

How To: Travel with Your Firefox -Windows XP

FOR WINDOWS XP
What I want to do:
Fraggin install all my extensions, all my preferences, all my passwords to shitty forums I'll never EVER remember, all my bookmarks and all the MODs I've made to MY Firefox, on any box. Without the hassle.

Now, I'm sure you've seen Templeton's vbs rollout over at FFDEPLOY.
I could never really get FFDeploy to work because:
1. I dont admin a network or need to roll out more than 10 computers at a time.
2. I don't have the necessary tools to remotely call out vbscripts.
and 3. His shit gets a bit complicated.

SO FOR ALL YOU BASTARDS WHO ONLY NEED TO PORT FIREFOX ON JUST ONE COMPUTER: HERE.

Here's what I did to port my extensions from my Old computer to the New computer.

STEP1:
Go to your Program Files and Grab the entire C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Winace this up and call it ::PROGRA::

Step 2:
Go to your C:\Document Settings\[Your User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla
Grab everything here, ace it up and call it ::APPLIED::
-So Now you have two folders, Mozilla Firefox in your PROGRA and Mozilla in your APPLIED

STEP 3
Put PROGRA and APPLIED in the new computer. Whatever Directory you want them in. Doesnt matter. Just remember where you put them though.

STEP 4: THE LAST PART
-Go to (the drive you want to port FF on, no shit):\Documents and Settings\(name of your login)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(your active profile name)\chrome\chrome.rdf
-search and replace any of your old links so that it'll point to your APPLIED location.
Per ejemplo:
Original->baseURL="jar:file:///X:/Documents%20and%20Settings/XXX/Application%20Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/XXX.default/extensions/
New->baseURL="jar:file:///Y:/Documents%20and%20Settings/YYY/Application%20Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/YYY.default/extension/

X and Y don't matter. Just make the new computer know where to find the new location of the .jar files. If you don't change the rdf file correctly, you get no formatting; it just looks like a big vbscript window with mashed up words like "File" and "Edit" all jumbled in one corner.

That's about it for Windows XP. Of course, what this does to your registry, I've no idea. As such I recommend you uninstall firefox before you install FFOX the Geekomon way.

Or you could do it the correct way, the FFDeploy Way with all the SFX and VBS and nice auto detecting of your the login names n'stuff. The general idea is the same though. Point the program to where the extensions are. The program will generate all the memory shit later.

Here's a piture of my firefox:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



   Win a Wii from PETA!Click Here to Win a Wii from peta2!